It is a common perception that you have to have a college education if you want to make it in the world today. Unfortunately, college may not be an option for everyone. And for many people it is not the best career option to take. There are plenty of career paths that you can follow that will give you the rewarding job that you are looking for. Perhaps one of the best positions to look for would be a plumber or plumbing contractor. This is a job that will give the great salary that all the college graduates are seeking and you will not have to spend years at school to get there. Below are 10 strong arguments for becoming a plumber.
1. There is currently a shortage of skilled plumbers. It is one of the up and coming fields to work in as there seems to be an ongoing shortage of people that are skilled for these positions. As more people retire, more positions are becoming available so you can be sure that you will be set with a job for life.
2. The pay is great. When you become a plumber, you will find that you are one of the highest paid contractors around. You can expect to make around $20 to $25 an hour to start. There are some areas where the pay goes as high as $35 an hour.
3. Plumbing has great benefits. Benefits are very important to most people, especially if they have a family so this is a great perk of being a plumber. As employers find themselves looking for quality employees, they have beefed up the benefits packages to help attract more qualified plumbers to fill their positions. There is also the option to join the union and make even more money with even better benefits.
4. You get paid to learn. You can earn as you learn with one of the many apprenticeship programs that allows you to train with qualified plumbers. This gives you the chance to learn by working hands on. Some of the training may even qualify as a college credit so you may want to check with your employer or trainer to see if you can get the credit.
5. Economic downturn resistant. You will be pretty much exempt to the worries about the economy as your job will always be in demand so chances of layoffs is slim.
6. Great opportunity for promotion. When you start out with training, you are an apprentice but you can quickly climb the ladder so there is always room for advancement and that is something that more and more people are looking for in a job.
7. Do something worthwhile. You can take pride in the fact that you have helped to build something spectacular such as homes for families and even hospitals that will help many people.
8. High job enjoyment. You can be sure that you are never bored as the work you do each day an change so you will never know what you will be doing, which means you will be less likely to get bored with your job.
9. Recognition. You will like the recognition that you get when you complete the job with top quality craftsmanship.
10. Social Advantages. You will make friends and contact that will help you to make a name for yourself in the industry.